MITCHELL & VANCE NEWEL POST CLOCK
Spelter (Zinc/lead alloy), enamel, brass, steel
Beautifully cast figure of a goddess in classical dress and drapery on a round pedestal designed to sit on the top of a newel post. The only known example with an original factory clock instead of a gas torchiere. Identical clock works placed in shelf and mantel clocks were sold by Mitchell & Vance in the second half of the 19thcentury.
It was in 1854 with John Shelton Mitchell (1817-1875) opened Mitchell, Bailey, and Company in his home state of Connecticut. In 1860, Samuel B. H. Vance (1814-1890) with a history in several gas fixture firms, became a partner and the Mitchell, Vance, and Company was created.
In the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition (May 10 to November 10, 1876), Mitchell, Vance and Company were exhibitors in the Main Exhibition Building.
The company expanded beyond gas fixtures to clocks, bronzes and lamps. Their work was recognized for its fine detail and high quality. They established themselves as the premier source for upscale New York clientele, and their customers included the Astor House, various theaters, Lord & Taylor and Grand Central Station. The firm closed in 1933.